General Electric Co (GE)


Incorporated in New York April 15, 1892, to merge the Edison General Electric Co. and Thomson-Houston Electric Co. In addition, it controls the following companies: Edison Electric Light Co.; Thomson-Houston International Electric Co.; British Thomson-Houston Co., Ltd., acquired in 1901; Sprague Electric Co., in 1902; Stanley Electric Manufacturing Co., in 1903; Port Wayne Electric Lamp Co., in 1911; National Electric Lamp Co., in 1912; United Electric Securities Co.; Electrical Securities Corporation, organized in 1904 as a financing corporation; Electric Bond & Share Co., and Bully Hill Copper Mining &Smelting Co. In the latter part of 1918, the company purchased the property of John B. Higbee Class Co., Bridgeville, Pa., and leased the Sandusky works of the Libbey Glass Co. In January, 1919, the International General Electric Co., Inc., was organized with a capital of $20,000,000 to take over the foreign business of the company. In October, 1919 the company organized the Radio Corporation of America to absorb the American Marconi Co. In June, 1919, the company acquired control of Cooper Hewitt Electric Co., Hoboken, N. J. In December, 1919, it was announced that the company had also acquired control of the Adirondack Electric Corporation, and the Dallas Railway Co.The company owns and operates large plants at Schenectady, N. Y.; Lynn and Pittsfield, Mass.; Harrison, N. J.; Erie, Pa.; Fort Wayne, Ind. ; and other places to manufacture electric lamps, machinery and supplies. Floor space of plants aggregate 17,573.000 square feet. The original authorized stock consisted of $50,000,000 common and $10,000,000 preferred stock. The company had $2,551,000 preferred stock, which was 7 per cent., cumulative, but had no preference as to assets, all of which has been retired. The preferred stock is 7 per cent., cumulative, but has no preference as to assets. In July, 1900, it was decided to increase the common stock, then $18,276,000, by the issue of $4,415,000 to retire the $5,298,000 outstanding 5 per cent, debentures. In 1897 company purchased $750,000 of its debentures, leaving amount outstanding $8,000,000, and during 1898 $2,300,000 more were retired. In February, 1901, all the debentures, except the amount given above, had been retired in exchange for common stock at the ratio of $120 in bonds for $100 in the stock. In March, 1896, this company entered into agreement with Westinghouse Electric Co., by which patents of the two companies were pooled and opened to their joint use under royalty.The stock was originally $4,252,000 7 per cent., cumulative, preferred stock and $30,468,000 common. The dividends on preferred were unpaid from July i, 1893, to August, 1898, amounting to $1,527,885. In 1898 it was decided to charge off the debit to the company\`s profit and loss and impairment of capital by a reduction of the stock to the present figures, making it three-fifths of the old amount. Resolution to this effect was adopted by the stockholders on August 17, 1898. Old stock was exchanged on this basis for the new. There was objection and litigation on part of the old preferred stockholders, but this was settled, and during the autumn and winter of 1898 payment of the accumulated back dividends was completed.In July, 1900, it was decided to increase the common stock, then $18,276,000, by the issue of $4,415,000 to retire the $5,298,000 outstanding 5 per cent, debentures. In 1901, the common stock was increased to $45,000,000 and the preferred stock was exchanged for common, share for share. In 1904, The stockholders received the privilege of subscribing at par for 10 per cent, of their holdings in new stock, the amount issued being $4,381,200. In December, 1905, the authorized stock was increased from $48,323,500 to $60,000,000, and $6,034,000 of the new stock was subscribed for at par by the stockholders to the extent of 13% per cent, of their holdings. In November, 1906, a further increase of the authorized stock to $80,000,000 was voted and $10,861,300 was offered to par to stockholders in the proportion of i share of new for each 5 shares of old stock, the payments for which were made half on January 16, 1907, and half on April 16, 1907. In 1901 preferred stock was exchanged for common and on December 5, 1905, capital stock was increased from $50,000,000 to $60,000,000; to $80,000,000 on November 20, 1906; to $105,000,000, on August 29, 1912; to $125,000,000, on January 3, 1918; and to the present amount on March 16, 1920. General Electric Co. develops, makes and markets a variety of products for the generation, transmission, distribution, control and utilization of electricity. Products include: major appliances; lighting products; industrial automation products; medical diagnostic imaging equipment; motors; and power systems.

View SEC Filings from GE instead.
Filers who had this stock in their top 10: 564
13F Filers holding this stock: 1998
Aggregate shares on 06/30/2016: 5,013,723,847
Aggregate shares on 03/31/2016: 5,136,809,899
Percent change: -2.40%
Funds creating new positions: 69
Funds Adding to an existing position: 771
Funds closing out their position: 64
Funds reducing their position: 971
Heat Map Ranking for 06/30/2016 121
Heat Map Ranking for 03/31/2016 27
View recent insider trading info

13F Filers holding this stock

Quarter 1: Refresh

Changes in Holdings:

*Shares are split adjusted
*Please note that if a filer hasn't submitted a 13F filing for a quarter then the filer's shares will be listed as "Sold All"

Schedule 13D and 13G filings submitted since 06/30/2016

Subscription required

Click here to report any possible errors with this stock listing.

Elevate your investments

or Learn more